Friday 23 October 2009

Temple Works Found

Group exhibition October 2009
venue website



There was this TV show when we were little called Fraggle Rock. When the song came on we would dance. There were Fraggles and Doozers - the Fraggles just had a laugh and the Doozers spent all their time working. The Doozers made buildings out of clear plastic.

When I found the clear plastic pieces in the Work Study room (the study of effectiveness in the workplace) I was reminded of this world of workers and bosses and all things Marxist. I was in a hard hat (like a Doozer) in a factory (like a Doozer) being told what to do (like a Doozer) with this clear material ( like a Doozer) but yet I wanted to have fun (like a Fraggle) and I wanted to play (like a Fraggle) and I was enjoying myself (like a Fraggle). It was a strange place to be. I
felt that the only thing I could do was be a Fraggle playing a Doozer. The result of my playing was a maze for a rubber stegosaurus I found earlier.

The second thing I made happened when I went into the office. In the drawers I found headache tablets, a plaster, a sewing kit, a birthday card, a cassette tape, a nail file, some doodling and a few other personal effects. Of all the other trash lying around these small personal effects were
evidence of the people who worked there every day. I wanted to archive these objects because the were so personal. Using paper from the same office to make paper pulp I fossilised these objects to preserve them and keep them in acknowledgement of the people who spent every day at the factory.

No comments: